Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Taco Bella

Hard-shell taco with meat, cheese, lettuce, to...Image via Wikipedia I promised that this blog wouldn't be one big rant against society and what's happening to our kids. In keeping with that promise . . . yesterday was a beautiful day. A bella day (I don't really know Italian, but I think that's the right word for "beautiful.") Yes, times are tough. Layoffs are all around us. The stock market is on a frightening downturn. Retirement accounts have been ransacked by trusted financial institutions. The price of laundry detergent is through the roof, which is why my daughters are looking a bit grubby these days. BUT, there was a silver lining yesterday. A ray of hope for four afternoon hours.

Not sure you even knew this, but between 2-6 p.m. yesterday, Taco Bell gave away FREE beef tacos to anybody and everybody who came to one of their zillion locations all over the U.S.! I guess the taco giant was delivering on its promise to give away free tacos if either a Philly or a Blue Ray stole a base in the World Series. (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/fan_forum/tacobell/)

So thanks to some big-league stealing, we little-leaguers got to do a little stealing of our own, too. And I hope you cashed in on it! You were limited to one taco per person. But there was no limit to how many Taco Bells you could . . . what was the word I used earlier? . . . ransack. So I hit three of them with my teenager in less than an hour. Call it greed, call it gluttony. I know I was guilty of two of the 7 Deadliest sins. But damnit! It felt good to be getting something for nothing for once!

Yesterday, the world wasn't looking so badly, after all. For one small window in time, We, The People, got free tacos and for once, felt like big enchiladas.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

HeyJoe said...

Damnit, I forgot to stop for my free taco.

Lynn said...

Oh, sorry you missed out, Joe. But mark your calendar for World Series 2009. Apparently, Taco Bell is doing this every year. No worries . . . I ate enough for both of us!

HeyJoe said...

There was a base stolen in last night's final game, so does that mean I get a free taco today?

Anonymous said...

Imagine that -- you condemn homosexuals for sinning, and then you not only commit TWO (three, counting pride!) sins yourself (AND teach your daughter that stealing & gluttony are perfectly acceptable in the process), but you BRAG about it on the Internet. How can you judge when you wantfully sin and show pride for your behavior? How can you, an unrighteous person, tell any other person that they are unrighteous?

"So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, 'He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.'"