Thursday, October 4, 2012

Redistribution of Wealth Starts With A Bus Pass

     Yesterday, I got my first taste of what it would be like with Obama in office another four unbearably long years. My eldest daughter is in college, and in the process of making a tuition payment, I discovered that she was being charged all kinds of silly fees. If you've ever been through Escrow, you know what I'm talking about.

     Anyhow, she was being charged a $27 Transportation Fee. Huh? We just bought her a car this summer so that she would be able to get to and from school on her own. We 're paying for her car insurance, too -- and we even threw in a AAA card for roadside assistance. The girl is completely dialed in to get to and from school on her own.

     So I called the college and discovered that the "Transportation Fee" was to help offset the high cost of bus passes for all the other students who had to take the bus. As the traffic czar told me, "Bus passes are about $340 a year, and most of our students can't afford that. So this helps bring the cost down."

     I explained to him that my daughter had her own car and wouldn't ever need to take the bus, and that I wanted the $27 fee waived. Call me heartless (or a right-winger, some might say) but I don't think we should have to pay for the cost of other students' bus fare. That's THEIR parents' expense, not mine.

     So I suggested that perhaps some of that collective $27 per student go toward helping to offset my daughter's gas costs getting to and from school. That seems fair, doesn't it?

     Complete silence on the other end of the phone. -->

1 comment:

Blathering Branding said...

You're not paying the full cost of your daughter's (or your own) transportation costs either...the auto and fuel industry in all aspects at every level from production to market to roadways are HEAVILY subsidized for the consumer. It has been this way since at least the 1950's. Do some research on the history of how and why is citizens became and have remained reliant or "to prefer" nonrenewable fossil fuel powered private owner ship single individual/automobiles family. It's not an accident.